Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sleeves.

Today I was
G
R
U
M
P
Y. My boss made a very strong suggestion that I visit the Abilene Jail tonight for Pioneers jail ministry. I didn't understand what kind of business I was getting into and was sure I had no potential to influence criminals in orange jump suits with orange crocs. And of course, because of a volunteer shortage I was told to go onto the Male side. YIKES.
B
U
T
G
U
E
S
S
What?
As all ministry goes, they rocked me.
a BUNCH
of
old men
young men
bearded men
baby faced
tatted all over
strong jawed
weak kneed
people who were looking for just a little something.
Jesus? maybe.
Relationship, freedom, love, grace, community, belonging, an escape? Absolutely.
So hear is the beauty, they did not know it, but Jesus is
A
L
L
of this and more. Papa scoops up every goodness and light we are scrambling for and dumps it on our heads. I looked into the faces of those hard men as I stumbled through old hymns. I saw my fear melt in a tidy puddle on the floor and dry up. Nothing but sons of God, Boet, Papa.

Oh how he loves them.
Oh how he loves me.
Heaven meets earth with
a Sloppy
wet
kiss.

1 comment:

  1. I love this!! Although you joked about going and putting your cardi on when you went in, I love hearing the heart behind it and what God did in you through visiting the jail! and I LOVE THAT SONG!

    ReplyDelete

Followers