Monday, January 3, 2011

Daniel

"I heard his voice. At the sound of it I fainted, fell flat on the ground, face in the dirt. A hand touched me and pulled me to my hands and knees."
Daniel Chapter 10.


It would make sense to enjoy long hours spent with our parents and siblings when we are young and have luxurious amounts of time on our hands. It would be sensible to enjoy stimulating conversation and hysterical competition on the Wii Fit. Maybe a casual meal around the old kitchen table and an hour of sitting and arguing about theology, political justifications and the biology of man.

I am graduating from Hardin-Simmons in May and will surely miss the long Christmas breaks between semesters. This holiday season I made a discovery-- I thoroughly enjoy my family. If only this had been a discovery at the beginning of college rather than the end.
Irony is defined as: "the incongruity of this"

I spent one week at home and was full of good buttery food and wisdom. Now I will admit, there were the unavoidable frustrations that sprout when dealing with family. Unavoidable because my mom has known me before I even knew me and we struggle with control, pride and independence. In tender moments of vulnerability, over coffee or gift wrapping, I saw my mom in all her beauty and struggle. I saw the sacrifice and passion of a strong women.
And I saw myself.

Occasionally I view knowledge as odious. How can something considered to be so valued and precious cause hatred and division, contempt and repulsion. Knowledge, much like faith, should be a dance inviting all to join. Yet I find myself lording this gift over others, especially those who know me in my most human ways. I am learning that the more knowledge I gain the less I truly know.
Irony is defined as: "the incongruity of this"

As I come to enjoy my family I am learning that it takes the constant choice to forgive and to love. To heal.

Every day I fall flat on my face, and the grace of Boet(God) lifts me up slowly. Reminding me I am Chosen, Holy, Dearly Loved, and the Child of God.

What a happy holiday.

1 comment:

Followers