Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Breakthrough

"Let love be genuine"
Romans 12:9

Intimidation is a funny thing, the way we let one little thought or stereotype be fed into the sub-conscience and warp our behavior should be unfathomable.

But is happens everyday, you are introduced to a person and its like every neuron is shooting off trying to unscramble the question of "what box can I put them in?" or worse what box will they put me into?

I remember the first time I met my roommate Angela, I guess I should say I remember BOTH of the times I met her. The first time was right after a freshman Bible study so we both had our "Christian" faces on and she seemed shy and sweet. The second time happened to be that same night at an intramural game and I was under the delusion that she was not the same sweet girl, but a different red head that I saw as a viable threat to my friendship with a certain boy.

Sounds ridiculous, but I hope I am not the only one who has made this same mistake. I am certain that she was quite surprised by my ultra "cool" demeanor compared to our friendly conversation that very same afternoon.

I have noticed how we all seem to have a perception in our heads of what it looks like to be the best version of ourselves. Do you know what I mean? The coolest, smoothest, wittiest, and most attractive version. What we wished everyone saw and talked about. The unlucky thing is, not all of us have been able to pull this off.

I will admit that I have met several individuals who have mastered what I have nicked named "the swagger." I see this occur in men and women both, but I got the idea from the way many men walk in accordance to who they are trying to impress.

But it is more than a walk, it is an entire personality created to fit the mold that resembles that version: the cool, smooth, witty, attractive one.

So for those of us; such as me, who have been unable to pull this off are left with the strong factor of intimidation. Which I believe has the power to ultimately effect our ability to love as Christ as commanded.

A little extreme? Maybe, but I think about all the times that this has held me back from reaching out to someone who has mastered the art of hiding their brokenness.

The other day I had a friend confess that he had recently become aware of his own swagger and the negative affects it had brought on him and others. He explained the talent it had given him to draw in many girls, he also recognized the pain our own insecurities can cause. I think like many, he understands his need for Christ to give him a genuine character.

Hearing this genuine testimony has opened my eyes in many ways to the soft brokenness behind the wall that many of us take shelter behind, the version, the swagger. With this understanding, my intimidation has melted; the brick, steel, and cement wall is looking a whole lot like Saran wrap.

Read Daniel chapter 4.
King Nebuchadnezzar was the master of Swagger, so good that he refused to give God any credit for the glories of his kingdom and wealth. But as God always does, he let Nebby become exactly what he was worth on his own, nothing; an animal eating grass in the field.

"Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and extol and honor the King of heaven, for all his works are right and his ways are just; and those who walk in pride he is able to humble."
Daniel 4:37


Blog entry in a nut shell:
The answer to fighting "the daemon" of intimidation is to simply open our eyes to brokenness. Recognize our own swagger and fight against it, give in to genuine and exposed hearts.

2 comments:

  1. I really like that Krisi. I'm trying to get a picture now of a "swagger" and the often times we try so hard to achieve this... really interesting point to think about indeed. It's tiring pretending like you got it all together haha..somehow i guess we have to find that walk where you are real with people but also glorifying God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get the swagger. Krisi my friend you are a totally crappy person but wise :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers