Sunday, April 18, 2010

I am a fool.

The Princess Bride--
There is a scene in this movie in which Inigo Montoya pleads with his belated father to lead him to the place where the man in black has been taken. His sword sways wildly until landing on a rut in a tree. Silly, who would live in such a way?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot Lose." -Jim Elliot

Jim Elliot is a man who gave up his life to risk reaching a people group know for their mercenary violence. I am selfish and afraid. If I was willing to offer all of who I am, could I live half the life of Elliot? I think the toughest part about my relationship with Christ is the surrender, and the fact that no one seems to fully understand us crazy Christians. Why give ourselves over to something that appears to be invisible and fantastical. What if in the end we are wrong? Are we Spirit seekers the same as Inigo in the Princess Bride, following blindly with our swaying swords?

Maybe.

Luke 9
"And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. But I tell you truly, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God."

Maybe Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers