Wednesday, January 13, 2010

No "fleeing" allowed

Two weeks to the end.
The definition of "FLEE" –verb (used without object)
1. take flight.
2. to move swiftly; fly; speed.

In fifth grade I got a ribbon for the long jump. I honestly cannot remember if it was one of those participation prizes or an actual award. Either way, I was satisfied. Long jump is one thing I have mastered, stand back...kick off...push and tuck...land.

Here I am some odd ten years later and am living out a long jump. However, I have forgotten to hold or wait for a result, I just keep on going full throttle until I am sucking back tears of exhaustion.

Thus I have begun the semester, maybe I hit a little too hard, maybe I thought myself a little too capable. Either way, humility strikes my face like I talked back to it for far to long.


I am on the last stick of proverbial gum in this surrender, and am curious to discover what my differences are? Where have I attempted growth?

The word flee sticks heavily in me mind.
To take flight...I can watch my own lack of satisfaction with the present; my feet are stuck in gritty mud and every pull against my current circumstances prove fruitless. I cannot flee from life, cannot take flight because that isn't why I was created. So, one muddy foot at a time, I can only hope to trudge forward.

Speed...can this ever be wise? I am designed, created, molded to enjoy a minute by minute exploit of life. Today is my adventure...cliché enough?

I will not flee.

Habakkuk 3:16
"I hear and my body trembles; my lips quiver at the sound; rottenness enters my bones; my legs tremble beneath me. Yet I will quietly wait..."

Extra thought:
I spent a month in the Dallas area, and met an aray of colorful people who reminded me of my arrogance and a life that overflows with provision. Two weeks I worked along side a group of individuals that I might avoid in a grocery store or crowded city corner. But I learned that an education at a University is no nobler than a single mother working her ass off to pay one rent check.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers